Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colin A. Ross, M.D. -- MPD/DID
Pallas, I'll bet the CIA could shed lots of light.  Hehe.  :D

Ross doesn't believe DID is synonymous with brain damage (I gave the wrong impression) like schizophrenia is because he found no thought disorders only cognitive disorders, and he is not even convinced that schizophrenia is the result of brain damage, but he did find that many people with DID experience more paranormal phenomena.  I mixed my thought with his by adding that it is difficult to manage.  Shame on me!  :)

You could be very right in what you wrote about certain drugs having the same effect on brain biochemistry as repetitive trauma does.

Polly - thanks for the clarification. :)

Ross does not write about programming matrices but he does use the term personality systems when describing DID and the cases he has been involved in.  He or his colleagues and the respective client map out each person's system.  He is not overly concerned with whatever programming someone believes they have if that is what their memories are describing but is more concerned with the unconscious cognitive errors which hold it in place.  He has often found that by addressing the cognitive errors, the perceived programming evaporates.

I don't want to give the impression that all who have been treated using his methods have reached full integration because sometimes that is not wise or possible depending upon the person but he has standardized his method of treatment a great deal, making adjustments as necessary in each individual case.

It's all very interesting to me.

Do you see any possibility of applying his techniques to people who have been programmed but who do not have DID?

What kind of programming do you mean, Pallas?

Another interesting statement made by Ross is:

"I don't believe that Satan existed in the universe before the evolution of the human cerebral cortex."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pallas, the reason I asked that last question is because specific programming as I know it involves the creation of dissociated personalty aspects and fragments to perform specified functions which are supposed to operate outside of the person's conscious awareness, thus DID.  Extreme, repeated trauma w/o specific programming may result in the same condition of DID since the person may learn to dissociate from the experiences as a survival mechanism.

I've been involved in Ross' book, "Dissociative Identity Disorder: Diagnosis, Clinical Features and Treatment of Multiple Personality."  This is his heavy duty book and I am reading it slowly.  Even used, this is not an inexpensive book.

So far, there are many quotes from this book I would have liked to include here but I'd be quoting too much of the book.  Actually, I am finding his books to be somewhat therapeutic. 

Here is a quote which I understand completely; more than I can ever express in my own words because of the neverending questioning of myself I did during my own process of years gone by.  I know how subjective all of this can be because memory is not perfect or always reliable even though memories can be experienced as convincingly real:

"One of the most intense aspects of DID treatment is helping the children through their abreactions.  During an abreaction, the child alter may beg the parent to stop, scream, cry, express extreme sadness, or clutch her lower abdomen.  There may be hand movements to push the father out of her vagina, or motor movements accompanying the abreaction of an oral rape.  The genuineness and intensity of the abreactions is one of the most compelling features of DID, but it is not evidence that the abreacted events ever took place.  I have witnessed intense abreactions of events later proven not to have occurred or retracted as false memories.  Retraction does not prove that the events never took place, just as recall does not prove that they did."  [Italics mine.]

Incidentally, Ross found that with clinical experience there was no longer any need for abreactions to occur.  The therapeutic methods he developed made it possible to often bypass this tendency.

Good topic.

there is a difference between "internal alters", "compartments"and "real demonic entities" and "elementals" and much more to find out for programmed people.

Co-incidence ? I found/bought the "Satanic Ritual Abuse book" in a second hand bookstore last week.

Octahedron, I hope you get a lot out of that book.  My perspective has greatly adjusted and expanded from reading his books.

What Ross found was that he did not have to become caught up in the constructs, details or intricacies of anyone's programming, in fact, this was detrimental to both client and therapist, but if the underlying cognitive errors (such as the error of thinking one deserved to be abused) were addressed, the programming would fall away.  It was the cognitive errors which held the programming together, not the programming itself.  He works within the client's belief system but does not buy into the client's belief system to any great degree.

[color=#0000ff Wrote:Polly[/color]]Octahedron, I hope you get a lot out of that book.  My perspective has greatly adjusted and expanded from reading his books.

What Ross found was that he did not have to become caught up in the constructs, details or intricacies of anyone's programming, in fact, this was detrimental to both client and therapist, but if the underlying cognitive errors (such as the error of thinking one deserved to be abused) were addressed, the programming would fall away.  It was the cognitive errors which held the programming together, not the programming itself.  He works within the client's belief system but does not buy into the client's belief system to any great degree.

thanks, good remark. You mean "self guilt" or "social control" feelings at his patients were not managed/commented well  by Ross ?