Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Laws of Logical Thought
My ex wife was indian.  India is a horribly horribly stratified and cruel society.  She was an abuse victim, as were her parents, and their parents, and their parents.... on and on, back through time.  It just seems normal to them.

I know Ive been spared a lot of intergeneration crap because the link was broken.  My dad was raised by a single mother in the 40 and 50's, and was not abused but was largely neglected.  Sometimes neglect isn't bad when "being raised properly" is actually a form abuse.  He has horror stories of how his friends were abused by violent alcoholic parents.   He had none of that.  he was on his own.  So he had no fears to instill in me, and I am largely fearless, as a result.

Interesting. My Dad was raised by benign neglect and didn't have too much to overcome.  India with the caste systems and abuse has a very Reptilian set up. I like the music, classical dance and some spiritual practices.

I spent a month there with her family in 95 (wow,20 years ago, holy sh*t im old). It's very shocking to western sensibilies. There are always poor people around, everywhere you go.  So many people all over the place.  I always felt like "someone should do something", but everyone there is just used to it, even the poor themselves.

Do you watch the big bang theory?  Do you remember the line where Raj says "We don't make the mistake of allowing our poor people to have dreams."?  That's totally true.

The indoctrination of the people with the law of reincarnation probably gives them some solace but it is a shocking place for Westerners. Why was I seeing more smiling faces and light in their eyes than here in the states though? I was there for four months in 1989 and remembered my cab getting stuck downwind from a 'highway road kill collection trailer' - dead water buffaloes stacked up on top of each other - the smell of death for over two hours out of the jungle. My brother swam way out in the Ganges when this fish over 7 feet long circled around him. Turned out, that was no fish! People on the shore were hopping up and down waving their arms and yelling. When he got out they were looking at him like a god. Do you know what it was?

...oh jeez, I'm sorry MetaOntosis! This thread has really derailed. We'll try to bring it back to logic again...time for a re-read!

Yeah, they are more ok with it than visiting westerners are.  They have to be.  And it's all they know too.  I got a kick out all the shanty towns all around where they have tapped into the main power lines on their own.  

"What are you gonna do, take all we have?"  

Was it a shark? That's a good story.

No, not a shark.

After the swim he sat on a huge pile of carpets while yards of silk saris were being unrolled with a practiced flick of the wrist. The shop owner provided a little lunch and some chai while his wife and daughters fluttered about. The owner noticed a little patch of wetness on the rugs, and asked if he had been in the Ganges. My brother told of his encounter, the patch of hairs on the back of the sea monster and asked if the man knew what this thing was...(have you guessed it yet?)

Cross legged, sitting like a guru in front of an audience (and not being adverse to building suspense)  he cocked his head to one side and began, "This is NO fish. You are very lucky to have gotten out unscathed! They call this the Ganges Dolphin though it is no dolphin.

When I was a boy the Ganges flooded and one of these things was trapped in a basement. People came from all over to view it...

It was a giant RAT that grew fat from consumption of partially cremated corpses! 

Now, after this detour in the Ganges, it's back to this rare logic thread.

The Ganges Rats is a good name for a little league team.