Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rock Music Boosts Your Brain Power
The Sunday Times
September 03, 2006
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0...69,00.html

Rock music boosts your brain power
Camillo Fracassini

LONG suffering parents of adolescents might not agree, but scientists claim that listening to rock music can boost your brain power.

Researchers at a Scottish university believe that the sound of guitar-based rock such as Jimi Hendrix, AC/DC and the Red Hot Chili Peppers improves concentration and boosts memory.

Contrary to received wisdom, children who listen to loud rock or pop music while swotting for exams are probably improving their chances of success.
The finding follows claims that listening to classical music, particularly Mozart, can improve performance in cognitive tests.

Recent studies suggested that The Mozart Effect can lead to permanent changes in brainpower among young children. The findings have spawned a multi-million-pound industry in classical music CDs designed to boost children’s intelligence.

In the new study, Dr Leigh Riby and George Caldwell, cognitive psychologists at Glasgow Caledonian University, set out to find out whether The Mozart Effect applies to other types of music.

The researchers monitored the brain activity of a group of 16 volunteers who were asked to perform a simple memory test while listening to rock and classical music. They were asked to do the same while listening to the sound of static and again in silence.

The volunteers were played Beethoven’s 2nd symphony and a piece by Steve Vai, the virtuoso rock guitarist.

While the classical music improved the concentration and memory of both groups, rock music also had a significant effect on the cognitive performance of the rock fans. Brain scans revealed that they required far less brainpower to complete the test successfully.

“We wanted to investigate whether more contemporary music would have a similar effect and chose rock as an extreme example,” said Riby.

“What we found was surprising. While classical music appears to have an effect on everybody, we also found that there is a significant effect on people exposed to their favourite type of music.

“Those played rock music required less mental energy to carry out the task successfully. I would expect to see a similar effect with pop fans played pop music or anyone else exposed to their favourite type of music. The music primes the brain to perform certain tasks more efficiently.

“What we are examining now is whether certain passages or certain instruments have a greater effect than others. We will be examining every millisecond of the brain scans to pinpoint what it is about classical and rock music that is having this effect.”

Vai, who has performed alongside Frank Zappa, Ozzy Osbourne and the former Van Halen singer Dave Lee Roth, said he was delighted by the findings, published in the current edition of Consciousness and Cognition, the science journal. “What this test shows is that it’s important not to exclude any music having an emotional impact or educational value,” he said. “What we hear has the potential to change the way we think because it changes our moods.”

While both classical and rock music have been shown to boost brainpower, they have also been used to discomforting effect. Earlier this year Luton council began playing classical music in the town centre to drive away problem youths. In 1989 the American army played AC/DC at high volume to force the Panamanian dictator Manuel Noriega out of hiding.

Previous studies have shown that rock music improved the work rate of people collecting stock market statistics and can have a positive effect on the brain chemistry of depressed teenagers.

This report is interesting but difficult to believe. Listening to ANY kind of music while studying academic subjects would seem counterproductive. The brain is forced to fight off the distraction in order to give full attention to the task at hand.

The same principle applies with a radio or television on in the background while going about other duties. Many people, of course, do this without apparent harm, but others are irritated by noise when reading, studying, writing, etc. They prefer doing one thing at a time.

If its crunch time for me, then I prefer to be sitting in a library hearing virtually nothing!! If however I am just leisurely studying/reading/doing hw, I sometimes put relaxing music or anything I feel like hearing. Obviously, I cannot study along to the beats of Linkin Park or Red Hot Chilli Peppers..but I can deal with listening to enya, loreena mckennitt, delerium,enigma..those kinds of bands--anything that calms me down. Its really challenging to have rock,rap,grunge,or pop music in the background while trying to read..if you could train your mind to shut off paying a certain percentage of attention it, then that could help with focusing on studies..and not being distracted. We need to be a little careful though in regards to programming/mind control in the media we use to entertain ourselves with. I personally am re-exploring the possibiliites of how mind control really does affect/not affect me.

I actually find certain sounds to be irritating...

I have heard the strong recommendations for Mozart music for children and they even provide special mozart cds for them...I think some could play that music for unborn children in the womb...up until a certain age..or for as long as needed/preferred...

In my opinion, I wouldn't go for mainstream cds that are devoted specifically for development of someones cognitive/intellectual/brain capacity & function abilities....because maybe if i sound paranoid...something else might be inserted in the music....but i think if one has a strong mind..nothing else can influence that persons mind....

just to be cautious though...

:o)

I cannot listen to any music while studying. Being a huge music lover, it becomes a distraction and my mind doesn’t end up being purely focused on study.

I think in the end, Its all based on how an individual chooses to interpret the music with their current mind pattern and Auric field.
Not all rock music has the same effect on me. Rock bands like Creed and Nickelback actually puts me in a bad mood, but other rock bands like Tool and The Smashing Pumpkins makes me feel more passionate and motivates me to be creative.

Aethah,

Yeah this is true in regards to how we interpret the music --it depends on our personality and mind pattern in what music we naturally have an affinity to. I like all of those bands you mentioned: Creed,Nickelback,Smashing Pumpkins and Tool. I mean I have heard more songs of the first three than I have heard of Tool..but I remember I liked what I listened to.

I do like Linkin Park and Red Hot Chilli Peppers but it depends on the mood I am in in regards to listening to it.
Sometimes if I feel like my mind wants dissonance or wants to hear something that reflects my mood, then I'll choose it..sometimes the same song can sound both harmonious and irritatingly displeasing to the ears..

Well I agree with you on what you said.

Thanks! peace

All music is a specific hyperspace imprint of energies/mind-patterns that is collected in a timestream space.  When the mind-pattern of the music is in alignment with the mind-pattern and purpose or activity of the soul-personality, then it feels correct.  Otherwise you create distractions.  All tones make colour and archetype in the environment, so what you play has a distinct effect on the physical space.

However, certain music forms are more conducive to higher level frequencies and vibratory functions than others.  You can also utilise the tones of your environment to enhance your actualisation of potential at any given time.  This can be through mental or physical tones of your own creation, or by setting up a tonal space that supports your ideas.

Sometimes, it is better to have "silence" because this makes you more aware of the sensations within you, even if you don't identify them as tones.  We can use music as a way to block out awareness of what is going on within: to lose our inner voice.  Then again, it can aid us in our purging/emotional release.  It depends on your personal needs at any moment.  Just make sure you use the music for your purpose, rather than be used by it for another's purpose.

i have a huge collection of anti NWO anti illuminati MP3's and all i know is that they pump me up and make me feel free, powerfull and great. it's the type of music that has been suppressed by the demonic bluebloods who run the planet. im starting to get interested in music that is more spirtual and soothing and helps with healing, meditating ect

Anti-NWO music, Anti-Illuminati MP3's? It's amazing what must be available out there. But I'm not familair with these? Could you list some titles and where they can be obtained.