Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Australian smokers face $20 cigarette packs
Posted 56 minutes ago
Updated 1 hour 1 minute ago

The Government is being urged to slash smoking rates by 9 per cent over the next decade.

The Government is being urged to slash smoking rates to 9 per cent within a decade. (Reuters: Charles Platiau, file photo)

The Cancer Council says it would welcome any proposal for an increase in the price of cigarettes.

The Federal Government is currently analysing a series of recommendations aimed at reducing smoking rates put forward by the National Preventative Health Taskforce.

Newspaper reports say the yet-to-be-released recommendations suggest increasing the tax on cigarettes to more than $20 a packet and a move to plain packaging.

Cancer Council Australia chief executive Professor Ian Olver says increasing tobacco prices is the best way to reduce smoking rates.

"If you put up the price by 10 per cent per pack, you can actually drive down a country's smoking rate by 4 per cent, which is an enormous impact on health care," he said.

"But Australia has been lagging behind over many years in increasing that price."

The taskforce has urged the Government to slash smoking rates over the next decade to 9 per cent.

It believes the price rise could convince 306,000 adults to quit and prevent 183,000 children from eventually taking up the habit.

Alarmed tobacco companies claim the measures could be unlawful.

Under the changes, cigarette packets would be generic and plain with larger graphic health warnings taking up about 90 per cent of the front and 100 per cent of the back.

Newspaper reports say tobacco companies also face a blanket ban on all sponsorship, internet sales, public relations activities and corporate responsibility donations.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/...ion=justin

Posted 56 minutes ago
Updated 1 hour 1 minute ago

The Government is being urged to slash smoking rates by 9 per cent over the next decade.

The Government is being urged to slash smoking rates to 9 per cent within a decade. (Reuters: Charles Platiau, file photo)

The Cancer Council says it would welcome any proposal for an increase in the price of cigarettes.

The Federal Government is currently analysing a series of recommendations aimed at reducing smoking rates put forward by the National Preventative Health Taskforce.

Newspaper reports say the yet-to-be-released recommendations suggest increasing the tax on cigarettes to more than $20 a packet and a move to plain packaging.

Cancer Council Australia chief executive Professor Ian Olver says increasing tobacco prices is the best way to reduce smoking rates.

"If you put up the price by 10 per cent per pack, you can actually drive down a country's smoking rate by 4 per cent, which is an enormous impact on health care," he said.

"But Australia has been lagging behind over many years in increasing that price."

The taskforce has urged the Government to slash smoking rates over the next decade to 9 per cent.

It believes the price rise could convince 306,000 adults to quit and prevent 183,000 children from eventually taking up the habit.

Alarmed tobacco companies claim the measures could be unlawful.

Under the changes, cigarette packets would be generic and plain with larger graphic health warnings taking up about 90 per cent of the front and 100 per cent of the back.

Newspaper reports say tobacco companies also face a blanket ban on all sponsorship, internet sales, public relations activities and corporate responsibility donations.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/...ion=justin

Well, today is day 10 of not smoking for my wife and I, and yeah, its because of how much it was costing us, we would buy 5 cartons of 4 packs of 50 cigarettes. That would total around 300 - 350 dollars every two weeks.

Its an expensive habit, and we had to quit because we simply couldn't afford it anymore, our money is now going towards study for both of us, and fuel to travel to study etc...

If we smoked we wouldn't be able to do that.

Well, today is day 10 of not smoking for my wife and I, and yeah, its because of how much it was costing us, we would buy 5 cartons of 4 packs of 50 cigarettes. That would total around 300 - 350 dollars every two weeks.

Its an expensive habit, and we had to quit because we simply couldn't afford it anymore, our money is now going towards study for both of us, and fuel to travel to study etc...

If we smoked we wouldn't be able to do that.

Wow...that is expensive. I quit 2 years ago and I was spending about $42 a week on them. I smoked 2 packs a day and they were $3 a pack. Now they are over $6 a pack around here. The government is going to lose tax money as more and more people quit or switch to e-cigarettes. I've read some people are so fed up with the high prices that they started growing their own tobacco.

Wow...that is expensive. I quit 2 years ago and I was spending about $42 a week on them. I smoked 2 packs a day and they were $3 a pack. Now they are over $6 a pack around here. The government is going to lose tax money as more and more people quit or switch to e-cigarettes. I've read some people are so fed up with the high prices that they started growing their own tobacco.

growing their own Tobacco? wow, isn't that illegal? not sure on that one. yeah remember we considered the e-cigs but we couldn't even afford them either lol.... its a way cheaper alternative. :)

growing their own Tobacco? wow, isn't that illegal? not sure on that one. yeah remember we considered the e-cigs but we couldn't even afford them either lol.... its a way cheaper alternative. :)

In the US you're allowed to grow up to a 3/4 of a acre for personal use. One crop could yield 2000 pounds. That would be enough to keep you smoking for many years.icon_smoke

In the US you're allowed to grow up to a 3/4 of a acre for personal use. One crop could yield 2000 pounds. That would be enough to keep you smoking for many years.icon_smoke