Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Ways for the Beginner to Start Meditating
I would suggest someone practice 5 min of meditation and gradually build up the minutes over the days.

But realistically I couldn't meditate for longer than 30 seconds. I know a lot of people who can't either. But I successfully stayed in a meditative state without opening my eyes last night. My method is simple:

You close all windows and doors. Make sure you will not be interrupted. Turn off all lights except a lamp in front of you (make sure it's not a very bright one either: just comfortable enough for you to contemplate with eyes closed). And have a radio/laptop nearby that plays music that you would normally listen (even if that is pop or rock or any music with programming embedded).

Close your eyes and start meditating. When you feel you can commit without worrying about the lack of light or poor visualization abilities in the dark, turn off the lamp (with eyes closed). Continue meditating without having your eyes opened. When you feel you can finally commit without music distracting your conscious, turn off the song (again with eyes closed). Then for the remainder of the meditation, do your best to stay in your "breath" so you won't fall asleep.

Each phase of the meditation work may take you about 5 minutes. So it is pointless if you don't have the will to try to meditate for a long period. Remember that with my method you won't be fighting with yourself as much. So keep a fresh mind even if you had bad experiences with getting into meditation. You see, watching movies/lights, listening to music, etc are all things we have done. While you are "doing that" here, you prepare the conscious to accept the even deeper levels of meditation. The result is pure meditation after the initial ten minutes or so.

Strength of will is important.Make an attempt to stay in the same position without moving at all.If you can do that by the strength of will then meditation will be much easier since it requires that your body is still in the asana for meditation.Only then the mind can concentrate and focus on the practices of meditation.

Thank you Zmaj, I know that the will is very important. You made a very important point though.

I read many websites that instruct you to stay in a meditative poise. It's as if they assume the person has the will power to do so.

But I find it very difficult to possess that kind of will power and so I resort to this means. I live in the city like many people who use the internet does. We are constantly bombarded by air polution, chem trails, chemicals, advertisement, ELF, etc etc. that sometimes just concentrating is difficult. After getting so used to this numb state, it would be very difficult for me to just muster up the will power to stay in a pose for more than my attention span can handle.

[user=4]SilverInfinity[/user] wrote:
Quote:Thank you Zmaj, I know that the will is very important. I read many websites that instruct you to stay in a meditative poise. It's as if they assume the person has the will power to do so. But I find it very difficult to possess that kind of will power and so I resort to this means.
Whatever works for you is the thing you should practice,but I would recommend pranayama breathing techniques since they tend to relax your body and prepare it for meditation.

In its own way, my technique prepares and babies the person from familiar territory into the meditative state. But Pranayama breathing techniques, I will check that out. Thanks.

a good colour code to use is pale yellow. and laying down with hands face up, ie. receptive.

some basic techniques have you starting focusing on just oine instrument in a band suring song, like say just the ride cymbol in rock music. i've been doin that since i started playing to learn parts. great for focus.

the first time i did a mediyayion i did the pose and stayed in it a good 10 minutes. it was meinly breathing but it was really effectibe. nowadays i lay in the bed with eyes closed and merge, then wait it out.. usually violet or gold, but using poale yellow layers, or bands aroudn the head, or all in pale yellow is really good for it.