Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earth sized mark on Jupiter
link

"Something has smashed into Jupiter, leaving behind a black spot in the planet's atmosphere, scientists confirmed on Monday.
This is only the second time such an impact has been observed. The first was almost exactly 15 years ago, when more than 20 fragments of comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 collided with the gas giant.
"This has all the hallmarks of an impact event, very similar to Shoemaker-Levy 9," said Leigh Fletcher, an astronomer at NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena, California. "We're all extremely excited."  "

So it would appear that "something" bounced off Jupiter. For some reason,I think it was somewhat Artificial in nature. As in possibly projected.
If so,I think that's great. Next stop, I hope, is Earth. After all we could use a wake up round' here. Especially as all sat data is now classified, we'll never know what's comming.

So something the size of Earth crashed into JUpiter? Did it happen so fast that no one saw it coming? Is there any way to tell if maybe something of that size Left Jupiter?

William Wrote:So something the size of Earth crashed into JUpiter? Did it happen so fast that no one saw it coming? Is there any way to tell if maybe something of that size Left Jupiter?
Is the atmosphere of Jupiter such, that an exiting projectile would disturb it? I think that's important to answer your question. For anything leaving to make a disturbance that size must be huge. Now they're saying it was only the size of the antarctic polar region. Down play perhaps?

Second, no one seeing it, and projecting a hit, would be most likely due to the facts that no one was looking there to see anything coming. And that anyone who could, is now restricted to secrecy. The sat's are off limits to scientist's now. You can only hear a tree fall in the woods if you're there in the first place and don't have earplugs on.

I saw somewhere that an Observer looked a day or two at Jupiter and then 2 days after there was that mark on Jupiter. I would believe with all the Observation Telescopes that are continually looking out into space someone would of seen something and reported it. But no.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jupiter and its moons prepare nuclear winters for Earth Richard 0 1,229 08-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Last Post: Richard