Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Cope With Telemarketers
http://www.ehow.com/how_11179_cope-with-...eters.html

How to Cope With Telemarketers
Telemarketers get trickier and more persistent every day. Be as firm and insistent as they are, but keep your cool.

Instructions
Difficulty: Moderately Easy

Step One
Help them do their job by politely saying you aren't interested right at the beginning.

Step Two
Remain polite. You can always simply hang up.

Step Three
Have a standard statement ready; use it consistently and firmly. For example, "I never buy things over the telephone."

Step Four
Don't get caught up in the cycle of listening politely against your wishes.

Step Five
Ask to be removed from the telemarketer's list.

Step Six
Be aware of smart tricks and traps to get you to interact. Avoid them.

Step Seven
Warn the persistent fundraiser, survey taker, etc., that you are going to hang up. Then do.

Tips & Warnings
  • Be aware that no one can legally harass you on the phone by calling over and over, or using nasty language or threats. Tell them you'll call the police.
  • Most offers of free trips and prizes have strings attached; don't agree to anything without careful consideration.
  • Ask for the caller's phone number if you wish to respond to an offer.
  • Never give out personal information (credit card numbers, bank account or social security numbers, address or living situations) on calls you didn't initiate.
  • Don't be fooled by offers that sound too good to be true - they usually are!

Aw...I just put myself on the "do not call" list. :nod:

That sometimes is not enough to avert some telemarketers. xD

So true...

Other Tips:

1st: In the beginning say: "Thank you, I'm not interested, goodnight"

2nd: If they are still talking: "I said, I'm not interested"; and then wait for 5 seconds.

3rd: If they are still on the line: "I'm not interested, thank you; goodbye", and hang up.

You're too nice. I just say: "Not interested," or "no, thanks," then hang up. :evil:

I wish all of you could hear my buddy (my boyfriend, Paul) talk to telemarketers; he deserves a medal! There have been countless times I nearly died laughing in the background listening to him engage one on the phone.

He will test their selling skills to the max. He is not mean, disrespectful or impolite but he forces them to do their jobs to try to sell him something even knowing he is not going to buy whatever it is.

I don't recommend his ways to anyone but he has a knack for giving them the time and teaching them to sharpen their skills. It's hysterical! And he always tells them at the end of the conversation, "And may the sun shine on you!"

I ask for their Home phone number so I can call them back because im busy right now.  They always tell me No, and I say, because you dont want to be bothered?  Then I politely hang up as I hear them clear their throats!  :)

*As seen on Seinfeld tv show, batteries not included!  ;)

I had an offer from a telemarketer who did offer me a discount of Euro 10,00 a year if I switch to them as their energy/electricity supplier.

My reply:

I told him they can get Euro 20,00 from me if his company will promise they never phone me back again in the future, all stated in written contract.

End of call.

Although we are on the do-not-call list, we had one persistant telemarketer.  We played him for 4 days!  It was the funniest thing we've done in a long time.  It ended up with him saying "You are wasting my time" and hanging up on us!

All we did was keep asking for his full name (How do you spell that?  With a B or D?), the company's name (How does that appear on the NYSE?), the phone number (which he had to keep repeating because we just couldn't seem to get it right), the address of the company (Was that Main or Men?).  We were both on the phone when we finally got to him.  ROFL!