Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Janet Swerdlow said they "were terribly surprised" to learn that Darwin was involved in dr
Darwin also made contacts with a New Age health group in St. Joseph called "Expansions," which offer treatments such as chakra spinning and something called "Self-direct Access to Oversoul and God-Mind."

Janet Swerdlow runs "Expansions" with her husband, Stewart, who has written that he was brainwashed by aliens and the CIA and who claims to be clairvoyant. Janet Swerdlow said they "were terribly surprised" to learn that Darwin was involved in drugs.

http://www.mapinc.org/newsnorml/v05/n1264/a03.html

BIRCHDALE, MINN. -- The grandmother showed up in this tiny Koochiching County town a day after the "For Sale" sign went up on the old Bauman place, a remote log cabin overlooking Rainy River and the Canadian border.

The cabin needed work. But Gail Darwin, 63, who had come from California, called it a perfect place to retire. She put down $150,000 cash on the $250,000 asking price.

Darwin told locals she had recently inherited money and ran an alternative health practice called the Earth Healing Institute.

"I figured she sold herbal remedies," said a man at Nelson's General Store.

In a way, she did.

Darwin and Joseph Heater, 65, who lived just across the river in Ontario, pleaded guilty last month to possessing 826 pounds of marijuana valued at $4 million. Local and federal authorities caught them with the huge stash stuffed in a trailer this spring in one of the biggest marijuana busts ever made along the border.

Their arrests are a strange tale with a serious point: Minnesota's far northern wilderness, authorities say, appears to be emerging as a pot-smuggling pipeline from Canada to destinations that include the Twin Cities, Chicago and Detroit.

Neither Darwin nor Heater had a previous felony, so at first their arrests seemed like unusual criminal career trajectories for two older citizens.

Their lawyers have since said the pair, who now each face a plea-bargained sentence of 27 months, are mere pawns in the multibillion-dollar trade of "B.C. bud," marijuana cultivated in British Columbia.

"Wrong place at the wrong time," said Heater's attorney, Steve Nelson.

But investigators say their willingness to invest major money in border land suggests they either had substantial financial backing or were preparing to make Minnesota a significant, long-term transfer point for B.C. bud, a choice brand for upscale pot smokers in the United States.

Darwin and Heater, who declined to be interviewed for this story, also were found with high-end countersurveillance equipment, investigators say, including satellite phones and instruments that detect police radio frequencies and infrared monitoring devices.

"It's very sophisticated equipment," said Sgt. Bruce Grothberg of the Koochiching County Sheriff's Department.

Their arrest was the third significant bust involving B.C. bud in Koochiching County in the past two years. But authorities say they have no idea how much more may be coming across the border.

"We've seized more than 1,000 pounds in two years," Grothberg said. "But I don't think we are even scratching the surface."

As it gets tougher to smuggle marijuana along the West Coast, dealers are spreading out across the Canadian border, according to author Robert Sabbag, who ran with a group of B.C. bud couriers for a recent article in Playboy magazine.

And with its wooded, watery and porous border, "Minnesota is as good a place as any to work," he said.

Big-Money Crop

Marijuana production has become a major enterprise in Canada, where penalties for possession are slight. The mayor of Vancouver has even advocated legalization. Forbes magazine estimates the crop's value at $7 billion in British Columbia. In Minnesota's border province, Ontario, authorities say B.C. bud is a $1 billion crop.

Sabbag, who has written several books on the drug trade, said tougher penalties against marijuana in the United States inflate the value of the pot coming from Canada.

And unlike Mexico's drug trade, which is largely controlled by organized criminal groups, the Canadian marijuana trade tends to be more of a mom-and-pop operation, Sabbag said. "There are a lot more rural people, and elderly, paying off mortgages by growing this pot," he said.

That could have been Darwin and Heater's motive. Or they could have been part of a larger and more sophisticated smuggling ring, Sabbag said. "I would guess that if they had 800 pounds, it wasn't their first time," he said.

The Drug Enforcement Administration says dealers can purchase marijuana for $1,500 to $2,000 a pound in Canada, then sell it for $6,000 a pound or more in the United States.

Over-The-Hill Hippie

Little is known about Heater, a retired engineer, married with children and living in Alberta.

But Darwin, whom acquaintances describe as friendly and outgoing, is an exotic figure: She had a reputation in the alternative health field for her work in "deep breathing," according to former colleagues. She also hosted seminars and has a Web page that advertises: "Through activating our solar connection, with profound, deep breathing awareness, the natural flow of energy is reactivated within us."

According to authorities, Darwin also has had residences in Calgary and St. Joseph, Mich. In St. Joseph, she rented at least one residence, as well as an office in a former bank she was renovating under the name "Integrative Alternatives." Her sign was taken down a few weeks ago.

Federal authorities say they began watching Darwin last winter, after finding sled tracks from her house to Heater's in Canada.

Some residents in Birchdale said they started getting suspicious when they noticed increasing numbers of Border Patrol officers in the area.

When Darwin's closest neighbor, Jennifer Eck, went into labor at 3 a.m. one day, she and husband, Carl, sped toward the hospital. As they pulled onto the highway, a Border Patrol car appeared and followed them.

When they arrived in town, other police were waiting. Upon discovering that Eck was pregnant, they let them go. "But I knew then that something big was going on," Carl Eck said.

In Michigan, Darwin told people that she also ran an adventure travel business.

"I envisioned people canoeing down white-water rapids," said Richard Lewis, a New Age health provider to whom Darwin made referrals.

He said Darwin also was trying to start a kind of utopian clinic along Lake Michigan that she planned to make a one-stop shop for physical and psychic care.

"I couldn't figure out how she was going to make any money," Lewis said.

Grothberg, the Minnesota sheriff, speculated that Darwin had plans to launder the money she earned from the drug trade, a common ploy among B.C. bud dealers.

"One day she came in and said, 'I want to get the [health] center started. I'm getting ready to retire,' " Lewis said.

He called Darwin and her friends "over-the-hill hippies" trying to pad their retirements.

Darwin also made contacts with a New Age health group in St. Joseph called "Expansions," which offer treatments such as chakra spinning and something called "Self-direct Access to Oversoul and God-Mind."

Janet Swerdlow runs "Expansions" with her husband, Stewart, who has written that he was brainwashed by aliens and the CIA and who claims to be clairvoyant. Janet Swerdlow said they "were terribly surprised" to learn that Darwin was involved in drugs.

At the time of Darwin's arrest, police initially thought she told them she was a "breeding expert," according to her lawyer, Bruce Biggins.

The misunderstanding may not have been entirely false: Two years ago, Darwin was convicted of "operating a bath business without a license" in California. Prostitution charges also were filed but later dropped.

Campers Or Couriers?

On a recent weekday afternoon, Grothberg pulled alongside Rainy River and spotted a lone tent deep in "a mosquito hell hole," as he put it.

"Weird," he said. "If they don't have a boat or fishing equipment, something funny is going on."

Grothberg, an area native, had seen the scene before. Sometimes, he said, it's only people getting away from it all. But often he suspects they are waiting for something.

The mosquitoes in the thicket were unbearable. One couple sat listlessly in a car with Nebraska plates. Another couple sat in a tent.

There were a dozen designated camping spots within an hour's drive. But the group had chosen one without a river view but with access to a canal where drugs have been found before.

Grothberg asked a few questions, then notified the Border Patrol.

"Kooch County has 490 square miles," he said. "You can drive 70 miles and not see a house. It takes less than a minute to cross the river, and in some places you can walk across. If you want to meet someone in the middle of the river, no one is the wiser."

Local prosecutor Jennifer Hasbargen said her uncle once found an ice cream bucket filled with marijuana floating down the river.

And Grothberg recalled finding a hole in the ice in the Little Fork River, which spills into Rainy River. At the bottom of the hole was a snowmobile with marijuana floating inside.

Though border surveillance has increased, authorities say they cannot cover the seven-county stretch along the Minnesota border around the clock. They say they do what they can and hope for the occasional big bust.

Assessing Darwin's New Age cures, bath-house bust and drug trade, Grothberg mused about the incongruity of it all in northern Minnesota: "She had quite the little world going on there."

Grothberg said he figures Darwin and Heater were players in a larger, lucrative drug-smuggling operation. "They'll take the punishment, maybe get paid for it. Do their time and move on," he said.

"But," he added, "I think we got their pension."

It shows you that they're good actors because the cops bought their story. Then if you really believe them, that brings their psychic capabilities into question. Wouldn't a good psychic know their business partner is a drug dealer and that the money is drug money?

"Like attracts Like" - Kybalion
Richard, it looks like the Universe gave a "karmic" signal to the Swerdlows to not rat on former trusted associates :)
Hmmm... I wonder how the Alters of other New Age "gurus" are making their money ?

Btw...The Swerdlows don't believe in karma.

Too bad, but Karma believes in them :)

Famed Tantrik Vimalananda debunked New Age disbelievers in Karma years ago in his classics Aghora 2: Kundalini and Aghora 3: Karma.
Anyone can disbelieve for about 7 and a half years, then the Saturn Square aspect takes care of everything. If they escape this, then a 19 year North Node cycle takes care of the remaining debts.

I saw on their website how they were relieved of funds from the France Tour Operator, it is merely a karmic settlement of all the wages they may have not paid.

Even the Reptilian Hybrids suffer Karmic consequences for their 3D Genetic component, it is only their 4D component that is free from suffering 3D Karma. This is why Prince Charles supports Homeopathy, to avoid the karmic punishment of profits from Allopathic Big Pharma investments.

Yes ....Integrity is a Virtue.

Mercy Now Wrote:Btw...The Swerdlows don't believe in karma.

It's not a belief; it's a scheme about higher esoteric laws over the lower ones.

They know Karma is something existent, but it is not fatal. That's their point.

Nope . That's not what he said nor inferred. I can find it and quote him if you like, (though I prefer you did your own research). I remember it was from 2002 Q&A. It's one reason I went to check them out.

SS always says the only Karma there is is instant karma. His example is you touch fire and you get burned.

Richard Wrote:SS always says the only Karma there is is instant karma. His example is you touch fire and you get burned.

This is a kind of example, of a "level" of Karma.

There are many levels, but they all can be surpassed using the technique of at least 1 level beyond the actual Karma level in subject.

There is free will, and that's a higher principle than Karmic laws.

BTW: all the posts of me here are my words, not of S.