Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim Stone's Bugout Tips
I did a seriously awesome bugout in the back country, for practice.
The purpose for the back country aspect of this bugout was to see from ground level if anything I could get to quickly would be a suitable place to shelter people during the "mark of the beast" period that is already partially here, they already nailed lots of people with that vax and soon they'll ramp it up to everyone so the time is now - and I learned a lot.

Before I get into this, the phones were left at home, I had no electronics and planned this trip months ago. No one got tipped off to what I was going to try.

I guess the biggest thing I learned is that you can't rely on Google Maps satellite view. It has problems, and if you don't do a practice bugout beforehand and have simply used satellite view to decide where you are going to go, you'll fail when you try, no ifs or buts. It appeared to me that Google has used AI to distort the positioning of land features in the back country and still produce a map that looks usable. I will go back through the same area again to see "where I screwed up" but I don't think I did screw up, I think Google modified terrain features to cause errors in navigation. And even if Google did not, - let me explain something -

Satellite view on Google can be used for military purposes if it is accurate enough. So handing that out to random people and countries might be a Pentagon ordered no-no. In general, the gist of what is seen is ho hum "sorta there", but don't trust it for precision. Before Russia launched it's own GPS, gps navigators available to the general public were not permitted to be accurate to within 200 feet or so. I know this because back in the 90's I was all over the back country with a Garmin GPS 12 and as soon as I got within about 200 feet of a location like a spring or anything else the indicator would go "bermuda triangle" and stop working. You'd get close enough to not end up dead, but it was in no way accurate enough for anything like a cruise missile. Nowadays GPS is more accurate because why not, when the "greatest enemy" has it's own system it uses?

Don't trust what you see on Google satellite view. Like that old GPS, it's close enough to not get you killed, maybe. Practice your bugout ahead of time so you don't get handed surprises.

Even if satellite view on google is not rigged, here's what it missed:
100 percent of all cliffs. They don't show up at all. It also totally missed an absolutely "crucial to know about" slot canyon. That's a biggie, that will totally waylay any bugout. A slot canyon is where there's a hundreds of feet deep drop only 10 or 20 feet across and often miles long. The narrows in Zion national park is an example. Slot canyons will kill you because it just looks like the ground continues and whoops, down you go. And they don't show up at all on satellite view. You'd see them on the old topo maps (where all the lines converged, it made it obvious) but satellite view shows nothing at all.

Other things that were totally invisible were river forks, waterfalls that were totally impassable, and all - 100 PERCENT OF ALL ground obstacles that cause problems for hiking. I was out there for 3 days. Confused at times but not lost because I did this within an area I knew was 100 percent surrounded by roads that would be impossible to miss - roads I traveled numerous times. I knew it would be impossible to get lost. But partially because of the Google satellite view problems I mentioned, I took a river fork that did not show up on satellite view at all and on the way in, ended up coming out on the road several miles away from where I thought I was. I fixed that easily by walking the road to where I expected to come out and working the bugout backwards and saw a whole lot more than I intended to. It worked out good because I got 2 routes in one trip. Another good point to make -

If your bugout plan involves walking a river (it should, that's a great way to not get lost) and there's a way to walk it backwards, downstream, walk it backwards, downstream. The reason is because back in the mountains the rivers fork off many different ways, and you won't know if a fork you are taking while walking in an upstream direction will lead you to nowhere. If you are going downstream the answer is easy: The direction of water flow or slope will always show you the right way to go, and you will see all forks for what they are - the wrong way - and simply walk past them without guessing. Rivers flow downhill, the slope will make it obvious if a fork is going the wrong way.

I ran out of water, you must be careful about dehydration
I knew I would run out, but that I' find water. The rivers were dry but rivers are never totally dry and occasionally I'd find surface water coming from small springs. I sterilized it all via boiling and had no problems. The first spring was yucky but still drinkable and the second one I used was amazing but I boiled the water anyway. Common sense. But I did learn an important lesson from the second spring:

I was putting off drinking water because I felt OK and figured I'd make it out before things got too critical. I drank the yucky spring water early on and then waited because I figured on the way back I'd be out of there soon but that was not the case, it was a few hours longer than expected. Actually, a day longer because of a slot canyon and waterfall but in the context of water that did not matter. That time was allowed for on the actual schedule. As far as water goes - I stopped for a three hour break where I sterilized the nice water and checked my urine color to let me know when I had enough. I was two gallons dehydrated and did not even know it. I "sat there forever" boiling more and more water and drinking it, 8 boilings in all and was still, according to urine color, dehydrated. That snuck up on me and caused no problems, but it certainly could have if I did not catch it, don't put off drinking water, walking past good opportunities, because you will probably be a lot more dehydrated than you realize.

That said, I never intended to carry enough water and fully expected to be drinking from natural sources. Plan to do that from the get-go, I had bleach and fire to work with and fully intended to use both.

Another thing - Bring a real Bic lighter, or a lighter that uses lighter fluid because I had to jump in deep water to get around an obstacle at one point, and even though my backpack was good enough to not saturate everything it still got wet to some degree and that will wipe out matches. Bic and zippo lighters are reliable, don't bring the generic crap.

The bottom line is that you HAVE TO practice your bugout beforehand, don't just hit the mountains and expect it to work. It won't - you will definitely encounter surprises.

I am going to do this bugout again, knowing what to expect, to confirm if Google really did distort satellite view. Don't be surprised at all if you don't get what you see on screen, I strongly suspect AI has reworked it for military purposes, and in the context of the left, screwing people over while they try to get away from the "mark of the beast" would definitely be a "military" objective. They won't be playing friendly.

Total distance covered: 30 - 35 miles (hard to say exactly when straightening out river windings and adding up diversions around obstacles.) The slot canyon forced me all the way up a mountain and fortunately I found a donkey trail to walk down the back side of the mountain on because the back side was downright treacherous. Expect stuff like that when practicing a bugout.

By the way, it was awesome. A risk to do it alone, but I don't know anyone available who would be up to such a trek. And yes, I did find a spot where I could set up and intercept people who were "fleeing the mark of the beast" to take them to a prepared place. It was possible, so I might not ever post a map of where I went.

http://www.voterig.com/.um5.html