Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Microsoft's Windows 7 test implies holiday launch
[size="2"]I've been reading news stories about the new Windows 7. It sounds like everyone loves it. They say it's better than Vista and XP. Some are calling it Vista the way it should have been in the beginning. Other names are fixed Vista. They say Windows 7 will be the first real contender to Mac OS since Windows 2000. So it sounds like MS learned their lesson and fixed Vista and they going to sell it as Windows 7. I'm looking forward to when it comes out. Cool[/size]

The Associated Press  April 30, 2009, 7:28PM ET 

Microsoft's Windows 7 test implies holiday launch

By JESSICA MINTZ

Microsoft Corp. released a near-final version of the Windows 7 operating system to a large group of technology-savvy testers Thursday that adds a few new features, including a way to run Windows XP applications.

The Windows 7 "release candidate" will be available for anyone to download and try out on May 5. The release candidate is typically the version used by Microsoft's corporate customers to test how the new system will work for them. Software developers, hardware makers and other partners also base their next-generation products on this version because they trust that it's stable and close to finished.

Microsoft published the Vista release candidate about five months before the final version went on sale to consumers. If Windows 7 were to follow the same trajectory, it could be available by the start of October. Officially, Microsoft expects to start selling Windows 7 by the end of January 2010, but has said this week that it is possible it could launch in time for the holiday shopping season.

The software maker is counting on Windows 7 to win over businesses that put off upgrading to Vista, which got off to a rough start because it didn't work well with many existing programs and devices.

And Microsoft drew criticism from consumers when many computers advertised beforehand as "Vista capable" were actually too weak to run Vista's highly touted new interface and other features. People who wanted to upgrade Windows XP computers found their graphics cards and other components weren't up to the task.

The new system is already set up for a smoother debut because it shares much of Vista's underlying technology, which means hardware and software makers have had more than two years to catch up to a more demanding set of requirements. And Microsoft has pushed the notion that the high-end version of Windows 7 will run on many more computers than Vista, including tiny, low-powered laptops called netbooks. Today, Microsoft sells Windows XP, a much less profitable version of its operating system, to PC makers like Dell Inc. and Hewlett-Packard Co. to install on netbooks.

On Thursday, Microsoft revealed that the basic requirements for running a high-end version of Windows 7 aren't much different from those needed to run the bulkier versions of Vista. However, critics said the Vista requirements for memory and other components should have been set higher, and Microsoft says Windows 7 is better at managing memory and not bogging down less-powerful machines.

Microsoft unveiled a few new features in the release candidate that didn't exist in the January beta, including something called "Windows XP Mode." The feature, available for the release candidate as a separate download, will let people run many XP-era programs from a Windows 7 computer.

The release candidate also adds a way for people to access music and other media files stored on their home PC over the Internet from other Windows 7 machines.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financial...T38CO0.htm

I know there's been tons of complaints about Vista but I really haven't had much trouble with it.  When I installed it, I had one application that wouldn't work.  I hadn't updated it for years and paid $30 to get a brand new version.  It probably helps that before I was a librarian I was in computers (finishing at IBM) and hubby is also a computer guy, but it seems that the biggest problem with Vista is that it will not run pirated software very well, if at all.

On the other hand, having been in the computer industry, we both hate Microsoft.  They put little "bugs" in Windows on purpose.  To find out what these "bugs" are, anyone selling an application has to sign a document saying that they will build their program so that it won't work with any other system but Windows.  That is how an inferior system became the standard, even when better systems (remember OS Warp?) were out there.

I'm using Vista too and it seems ok. It's much better since the first service pack came out. I think most of the complaints came from the first release. It was released before it was ready and had a lot of bugs. Then the hardware requirements was so high that it couldn't run on most older computers. There was also a lack of drivers for a long time. Now computers and software have caught up to Vista and things are ok.

Yes, I remember OS Warp. I didn't get to see it running on a computer but I heard plenty about. I remember people saying it was better and it was growing in popularity but IBM decided to pull the plug on it. I guess they felt it wasn't popular enough to keep it going.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows 10 'the last version of Windows' Breaking News 0 1,014 05-11-2015, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Breaking News
  Windows 7 Will Let Microsoft Track Your Every Move Breaking News 0 1,044 10-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Breaking News
  Microsoft Discloses Government Backdoor on Windows Operating Systems Richard 1 1,029 05-04-2008, 05:22 AM
Last Post: Anu-021413
  Microsoft Reveals Windows Vista SP1 Will Install XP Richard 9 2,543 09-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Polly
  Apple takes on Microsoft with Windows Web browser Richard 0 1,046 06-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Richard