Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quotations And Attribution For Books, Articles And Other Websites
I'd like to propose something.

When quoting someone, please include exactly what you are quoting; include the link or a book or magazine reference. Putting someone else's quotes in your own words without including the context or exact source of the original quote leaves room for many misunderstandings by people reading the posts. Taking a spin or making ones own interpretations of a book or article or web resource is fine but there seem to be a lot of statements where someone said someone else said something with no attribution or context and I, for one, find it confusing as to what was said and by whom and as to whether or not the statements being made are accurate representations. Also, I think proper attribution and sourcing the quote will reduce potential problems on sides of both the person quoting and the one being quoted. It will make it easier to carry a conversation.

I know we are not journalists and we don't have to go Chicago Manual of Style (http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chica...osfaq.html) hardcore but misquotes or errors in attribution create a lot of misunderstanding and even potential bad feeling.

As an example of this, if you are quoting an article (for example a David Icke article) or stating (your interpretation of) something that was said in this article, please include the link to the article (not just your interpretation of what was said) somewhere in the text, even if it as a footnote. If you are quoting a discussion on some other site, include a link to the site and the thread. This would obviously apply to quotes allegedly coming from Stewart or Janet Swerdlow and various others.

I'm not a moderator and people can follow their own policies but it's just a suggestion I thought I'd drop to make sure that current members and newcomers can follow threads easily and to prevent misquotes, misunderstandings, or misattributions.

Obviously, quoting and attribution care will go a long way also in preventing any potential or percieved HCF liability.

I am only asking that people do this, not suggesting that it is my place to tell people how or what they should post. I will point out, however, that I personally will view with skepticism all posts that don't include proper attribution when quoting someone and may decline to provide input on those posts.

Thank you all for your wonderful posts. This is a great forum!

You make a very valid point there Michael.Where possible all effort should be made to provide a weblink, publications and authors details, especially shall we say with more 'sensitive material.'If no references are given, no author is listed and so on in the original article and it is posted around many websites then it is not a problem as much.