Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Witches brave the fires of scepticism
By Lou Robson.

POSSESSION of supernatural powers has always made for popular entertainment. Tales of mystical beings, spirits and magical powers entertained our ancestors but once religion claimed a monopoly on miracles, what couldn't be understood was feared and punished. And the public got to denounce their neighbours and enjoy the spectacle of witches being horribly tortured and put to death.

English statutes against witchcraft were repealed in 1736 and public executions are no longer sanctioned as entertainment, at least not in Australia, but Channel Seven has devised an alternative ordeal � a televised quest for Australia's top psychic.

Seven contestants � mediums, psychics, clairvoyants, a "medical intuitive" and a witch � undergo tests to prove their paranormal abilities.

They have to find a lost boy in the bush with a bit of help from his teddy, examine memorabilia from celebrities and deduce who they belong to, and find contraband inside a shipping container.

Using the good cop-bad cop formula loved by reality TV, two judges � Richard Saunders, vice-president of the Australian Skeptics, and Stacey Demarco, a practising witch and author � decide each week who stays or goes until three contestants are left. The winner will be chosen by a public vote.

After 10 years of dealing critically with the paranormal, Saunders, who helped devise the challenges, has yet to be convinced.

The Australian Skeptics offers a $100,000 prize to anyone who can prove the existence of the paranormal; its US counterpart, the James Randi Educational Foundation offers $US1 million ($A1.04 million). Both groups are still waiting for someone to take their money.

Saunders' role is to provide a scientific explanation for what the contestants do � and point out certain odds and probabilities.

"My role is being a sceptical judge, someone who can size up the contestants and give a rational explanation for what they do. I'm a pretty tough judge because I'm looking for definite psychic or paranormal happenings," Saunders says.

"It's not set out to be a Mythbusters type of program. It's difficult because I'm involved.

"Normally on these shows they have a token sceptic � and I've been one. One of the things about this show is that I get to put my point of view."

A veteran sceptic, Saunders is unconvinced by readings and demonstrations. But, he says, there are very few shonks out there and credits most psychics as dedicated, hard-working and sincere.

"A lot of people sincerely believe that they have psychic powers," Saunders says. "A lot of them have actually been using a technique called 'cold reading' which is a psychological technique used to get information out of people. And that's very interesting because that can often fool the psychic and the person being read. That's not to say they aren't sincere in their belief."

Stacey Demarco, who teaches metaphysics and has written books on how to apply witchcraft in the boardroom and the bedroom, is the believing panellist.

"I'm a rational type of expert, I'm not the purple tie-dye type of witch. I just want people to come into this with a really open mind. It's not a circus act or an act of any kind.

"The contestants are normal people, they've got husbands, wife, kids, pets, a house in the suburbs and they are considered weirdos, freaks, satanists just because they have these abilities."

Only a couple of episodes have been shot but, Demarco says, the show lives up to its billing that it will make "hairs stand up on end".

"There's already a number of moments when you can hear the audience go 'Aaaaaaaahhhhhh' � there's been an intake of air.

"I walk around the audience and even the people who have been sitting on the fence have said 'that person freaked me out'."

Demarco rates the challenges highly: "Richard set the parameters and he's setting very scientific guidelines."

He's also been teaching her how to bend spoons.

"I'm looking for proof, too. In my studies I'm pretty aware of what's faking. What I'm looking for is similar results."

But her sympathies are with the contestants operating under TV spotlights.

"You're asking them to perform in a fear-charged environment, so I'm looking to translate that to the audience."

The avuncular Andrew Daddo hosts the show, and Demarco was impressed by the respect shown by all involved.

"When I was approached to go on the show I was expecting something very tabloid, very exploitative but they came at it very respectfully, very scientifically. We're going to tell the truth and they've gone to a lot of trouble to make this thing a quality production."

"Even though Richard comes across with the scientific stuff, my job is to translate how these people get the messages and what they do, this is their process. For example � this person is using psychometry that's just as scientific."

The One: The Search for Australia's Most Gifted Psychic premieres Tuesday at 7.30pm on Seven.

This story was found at: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2008/0...17986.html 

Sounds to me just like the show that played in the U.S. called something like America's Top Psychic.  Same kind of tests.  There was a witch, a christian with angel guides, and several others.  The last two remaining were the witch and the christian.  The christian kept saying that she hoped she would win to prove that the dark side doesn't win.  It was blatant bigotry towards the witch.  No one ever bothered to explain that a witch isn't a devil-worshiper that sacrifices children so she was set up to be the evil one and the christian was portrayed as the being of light, although I found her to be rather catty.  Sounds like the same show in OZ will be just as ignorant.

Hmm. Must be running short of psychics to use and possess. 

GertrudaRose just as there are exoteric Freemasons and esoteric freemasons there are exoteric witches and esoteric witches. Witches and satanists pretty much use the same symbology(language).It's like a school for satanism and in reality they are practicing it .

Sadly... from experience.

I disagree. Having come from generations of "witches", I know there are many flavors. The original witches were the healers and midwives. They were turned into demon-worshippers by the barbers that wanted to do all the doctoring. When I use aloe to treat a sun burn, I do not consider myself a satanist. I don't see anything evil in lavender potpouri. I also don't see anything evil in meditating on something that is a problem or in worshipping the earth. But, the absolute rule is to NEVER, EVER wish harm on anyone else, especially since it will come back to you * 10 (as I was taught at my mother's knee). How is that satanism?

I don't know what your experience was, but it sounds like it was awful. It sounds more like some rogue Wiccans I know that will wish harm on others at the drop of a hat with no consideration. The witchcraft I know would never do that so please don't lump me in with the satanists!

As I said  there are exoteric witches and there are esoteric witches. I too come from a long line of healers but all healers aren't witches and all witches aren't healers.

I didn't lump you in with satanists..the craft does.

GertrudaRose it was not my intention to cause contention. I don't and never did belong to a coven but ,not by conscious choice  mind you,have seen the workings of such though much activity goes on outside of these front groups.

When the sabbats quarters and cross quarters are ritually observed  one is giving energy to the ancient dark gods whether intentional or not. The symbolism is everywhere now.

BTW some of the largest church organizations are merely fronts for NSA/CIA/Mossad satanists. In reality churchianity and/or judeochristainity is a perversion of the old craft. It was done intentionally to deprive the world of the Christ energy.

Sadly it is now the nature of things.

It's all about choice and in the end Love is all there is.:)

Just a  little online info.....http://educate-yourself.org/cn/promotingsatanism05may08.shtml  

I love what you guys are saying here. No matter what its interestng and we are all learning something from what your all saying!

mercy now, the link you gave is changed and I cant find what your pointing at. I keep getting internal error on search.

Interesting William .Thanks for pointing that out to me. There are alot of things being scrubbed these days. One friend calls it  A Conspiracy of Silence.

Silence like a cancer grows. I'll check into it.

Okay I checked. Go to http://www.educate-yourself.org  Then click on Current News. Scroll down to May 5th  08 and the article is titled Promoting Satanism Under The Rubric of Paganism and Wicca
You might be interested in this as well William.
http://www.davesweb.cnchost.com/index.html Click on Laurel Canyon and the Birth of the Hippie Generation . Many of my fave musicians are mentioned  but alas I know much of it to be true. 

[color=#0000ff Wrote:Mercy Now[/color]]Hmm. Must be running short of psychics to use and possess. 

GertrudaRose just as there are exoteric Freemasons and esoteric freemasons there are exoteric witches and esoteric witches. Witches and satanists pretty much use the same symbology(language).It's like a school for satanism and in reality they are practicing it .

Sadly... from experience.

How can this be when witchcraft pre-dates Christianity and Satan is a Christian concept?  How could witches have been using a concept that wasn't yet created?  If witches were Satanists before Satan was defined, they sure had great powers of telling the future!  In fact, the Satanists took many of the symbols of Christianity and perverted them to their ends, and the Christians got many of their symbols from the ancient traditions, including what became known as witchcraft.  The closest thing to a god worshipped in traditional witchcraft is Mother Earth. 

I never could find the article you mentioned, but please keep in mind that the website, Educate Yourself, is a tool of TPTB to engender fear.

Namaste