Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firefox caught releasing info on users
Geolocation is a feature that is available on Firefox, only one problem, it ignores your request to not send your geographic location to Google.
According to this link, ... though geolocation is turned On, and NO permissions given… Firefox is still sending information to google geolocation services.
Disabling Google Geolocation is a good idea … that is if you value your privacy!
To turn this off read more here:

http://thewatermanfiles.com/
scroll down to June 10 entry.

I went ahead and followed the directions to disengage that feature in Firefox.

So... I'm wondering if maybe that had something to do with having been blocked from this forum today.

When I pulled up hyperspacecafe.com a page appeared with huge red & black letters that said:

"BLOCK SCRIPT

Your request was blocked by BlockScript based on the policies of the hyperspacecafe.com website.

BlockScript is security software which protects websites and empowers webmasters to stop unwanted traffic. BlockScript detects and blocks requests from all types of proxy servers and anonymity networks (such as web-based proxies, open proxies, Tor, VPN servers, etc.), hosting networks, undesirable robots and spiders, and even entire countries. For more information, see: www.blockscript.com"

It happened three times, so I wrote admin via email and haven't yet heard back. Anyone else get that today?
As you can see, everything is now back to normal, the page loaded perfectly.

Sifter Wrote:Geolocation is a feature that is available on Firefox, only one problem, it ignores your request to not send your geographic location to Google.
According to this link, ... though geolocation is turned On, and NO permissions given… Firefox is still sending information to google geolocation services.
Disabling Google Geolocation is a good idea … that is if you value your privacy!
To turn this off read more here:

http://thewatermanfiles.com/
scroll down to June 10 entry.
Geolocation is used for advertising purposes. Knowing your location makes it easier for sites to display more relevant information to you. I don't see it as a big deal and it actully can be helpful to you.

That reminds me of another article I recently read and meant to post here
(don't know if I can find it now)... how that google presents custom search
results according to your search history !!!!!

That means if you and I both search for the same word or term using the exact
words, (assuming you use google) we'd each get different results.  I don't think I like that do you?

It requires categorizing our personal preferences into "dumbsh*t vs smartie-pants or "wacko" or "fringe"  kind of mentality, does it not... (chuckles)

and I still wonder why the BlockScript page came up three times when I was pulling up this forum? It never happened before.

Anyway I appreciate you balancing out the value of the geolocater but it's my experience that a seemingly useful tool is usually used for nefarious reasons more than not.
ok so i'm jaded... lol

I'm guessing blockscript came up because of the service you're using. Maybe it uses geolocation to broadcast a normal IP but with it turned off it shows as a proxy IP.

Yes, I knew Google customizes searches to people. That's another thing I just see as helpful. I've even noticed if I'm looking at products on the net all the sudden every site I go to there will be ads for what I was looking for. Or if there isn't ads like at Amazon it will suggest that product to me. That kind of stuff doesn't bother me. It's just businesses working hard to get you to buy something. About the only things I hated was popups and popunders but nowadays most popup blockers block 99% of that.

A good product is a good product...
authentic information is authentic information...
what does one's browsing history have to do with search results? 

I smell something else going on and I don't appreciate not knowing in advance
that this is going on and certainly welcome intelligent discussion about it.

The point of the geolocater in firefox article is that it ignores your request to not send it... there is no permission given to them to do that... they do it without your prior knowledge or permission.

Search history can be used for many things. Advertisers use it and law enforcement uses it. I always delete cookies and search history on a daily basis.

I agree Firefox screwed up but was that intentional. It doesn't seem like a open source project like that would intentionally want to ignore your request to turn off geolocater. It's bad press. I'm wondering if it's a bug they need to fix.