Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excellent Borscht ...Anyone?
Hmmm...looking through this book, I also see recipes for creamed barszcz, Ukrainian barszcz, vegetarian beet barszcz, Wolyn barszcz, and cold barszcz with beet greens.

Any of those sound good to you? Heck, maybe I should just scan all these pages and send them to you in the mail. Then you can choose which ones you want. How does that sound?

Thanks for your efforts DT. I was looking for a tried and true deliscious one.  I have tried a couple found on recpie sites and books that I didn't like.

I'll take  "vegetarian".:)  When you get time . No hurry.

Ohhh ..the creamed one sounds good.  So does the e-mail. 

How nice your penpal paid a visit.

Okay, I will get it out sometime tonight. And, you know, now that I am looking at the ingredients and such, it does sound kind of good. Maybe I will even try it myself one day...

I have an old old Betty crocker cook book... wonder if any is in it.. will just have to look see.

Hi MN,

This is a recipe from my all time fav cookbook ‘The silver spoon’ because I think when it comes to cooking, no one does it better than the Italians!

This has a minestrone texture, and I don’t know how it would go without the meat and beef stock..

1 ½ oz butter

1 white onion, finely chopped

2 garlic cloves, finely chopped

1 lb 2 oz raw beetroot, diced

1 celery heart, chopped

2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped

Pinch of sugar

2 tablespoons white wine vinegar

2 ½ pints meat stock

14 oz potatoes

14 oz white cabbage, shredded

1 lb 2 oz boiled beef, diced

2 tablespoons of fresh flat leaf parsley

Seasoning

8 fl oz soured cream- to serve

1. Melt butter in large saucepan, add the onion, garlic and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally.
  2. Add beetroot, celery, half the tomatoes, sugar and season, add 6 fl oz of stock and cook over medium heat for 30 min.
  3. Meanwhile, cook the potatoes and cabbage in the remaining stock in another saucepan for 20 min, do not overcook the potatoes.
  4. Add the beef and remaining tomatoes, the beef and beetroot mixture, stir and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
  5. Season if needed
  6. Sprinkle the parsley and remove from heat
  7. Serve with sour cream.

Thanks AJ. Have you tried this?

No I have not MN, its not my kind of food!

I have several recipes for borscht, but my favorite is the Ukranian type.  It is more like a vegetable soup than the plain beet borscht.

Ukranian Beet Soup

10 c beef broth
1 bay leaf
8 whole peppercorns
2 cloves garlic
2 T dried parsley
1 carrot
1 celery stalk
1 large red onion
1 t salt (opt)
4-6 fresh beets for soup
1 small beets
2 c green cabbage, shredded
2 large leeks, sliced (white only)
3 medium potatoes, cut into eighths
1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes
3 T red wine vinegar
4 T sugar
1/2 c Sour cream (opt)

Scrub beets for soup and cook in boiling water until tender, about 45 minutes; drain and discard water; cool. Peel and cut each beet into eighths. Scrub small beet; grate; cover with water to soak.

Place beef broth in large soup pot; bring to a boil. Add bay leaf, peppercorns, garlic, parsley, carrot, celery, onion, the cooked beets, cabbage, leeks, potatoes, tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, and salt. Cover and simmer over low heat for about

1½ hours.

Strain raw beets, saving liquid and discarding beets. Add beet liquid to soup.

Additional sugar or vinegar may be added for sweeter or more sour flavor.

Garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream, if desired.

Thanks for your recipe GertrudaRose.Good to know it's tried and true.

So MN, have you tried out any of these, or found a good one? Just wondering if you cooked it up and how it went.