Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McDonald's coffee tops Starbucks in taste test
I’ve never liked Starbucks coffee and it always did seem odd to me that they’re so popular. I always heard that Starbucks puts an ingredient in their coffee to get people addicted to it and this latest taste test suggest it’s true because they were rated low in a recent taste test. icon_2kaffee

Consumer Reports compared brews from four chains

By CHRIS BURRITT
Bloomberg News

Consumer Reports compared coffee - black with no flavors, milk or sugar - from McDonald's, Burger King, Dunkin' Donuts and Starbucks.

NEW YORK - McDonald's Corp.'s coffee tastes better and costs less than brew from Starbucks Corp., Burger King Holdings Inc. and Dunkin' Donuts Inc., Consumer Reports magazine said.

"We compared the rivals with Starbucks, all in basic black - no flavors, milk, or sugar - and you know what? McDonald's beat the rest," Consumer Reports said in its March issue.

McDonald's Chief Executive Officer Jim Skinner introduced coffee made from 100 percent Arabica beans, the kind used at Starbucks, a year ago. The move helped drive 2006 sales up 9 percent, the Oak Brook, Ill.-based company said last month.

"I noticed the coffee is more consistently good-tasting than it was in the past," said Bob Hooper, a 74-year-old retiree having coffee with two golfing partners at a McDonald's in Greensboro, N.C., Friday.

Consumer Reports' "trained tasters" visited two stores of each company, the magazine said. McDonald's coffee was "decent and moderately strong," while Starbucks was "strong, but burnt and bitter enough to make your eyes water," the magazine said.

Starbucks roasts its Arabica coffee beans to "maximize the characteristics of each bean" on aroma, acidity, body and flavor, said spokeswoman Sanja Gould. The company's roasting methods haven't changed since its inception in 1971, Gould said.

The Consumer Reports test found McDonald's coffee for $1.35, Burger King for $1.40, Dunkin' Donuts for $1.65 and Starbucks for $1.55. The magazine said the prices were "an average of what we paid for the closest thing to a medium cup."

The magazine said Dunkin' Donuts' brew was "weak, watery, and pricier than Starbucks. It was inoffensive, but it had no oomph." Burger King, meanwhile, served a beverage that "looked like coffee but tasted more like hot water," the magazine said.

Dunkin' Donuts said in an e-mailed statement that it is "proud" of its "freshly ground, freshly brewed and freshly served" coffee. Burger King spokeswoman Edna Johnson didn't immediately respond to a voice-mail message left at her office.

McDonald's introduced the stronger coffee blend in February 2006. The company took enough time to make sure its 13,700 U.S. restaurants had the equipment and training to brew the new coffee properly, J.C. Gonzales-Mendez, McDonald's chief supply officer in North America, said in an interview. The company sells 500 million cups of coffee a year.

Starbucks' sales in the year through September gained 22 percent to $7.79 billion. The company this week reported a 22 percent sales increase in the three months through December. McDonald's had $21.6 billion in sales last year.

Starbucks' Gould said tastes are "subjective and may vary from consumer to consumer."

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/200...036231.asp

Very interesting stuff.  I am really susceptible to Starbucks addiction and I wrote to Stewart Swerdlow's Q&A a few years ago about this.  Some other people chipped in, and said that they had problems with it too. 

The image on their logo is quite disturbing when you look at it closely, (I think Stewart said it was a reptillian being) and in some of the cafes they used to have bizarre decorations on the walls of strange mythological beings and bits of text saying things about Sirens, possibly inspired by the Odyssey. 

They redecorated my local Starbucks and removed the Odyssey stuff a while ago, but I remember thinking that it was totally inappropriate and creepy for a place where people go to relax.  It felt like they were flaunting their evil nature in people's faces, and almost laughing at them for sitting there with their friends chatting and having coffee, whilst some sort of satanic manifesto was spelled out on the walls around them.       

The Illuminati eye in the windows of Starbucks tells you who their connected with. That’s another reason for their success. They say that they also put chemicals in the coffee to open the mind up for programming.

Attached Files Image(s)

Richard, is that image is all Starbucks locations-everywhere in the world? Or just in one or two particular stores?

They have a discussion about the logo at Above Top Secret and it sounds like you can find the Illuminati eye in most of the stores. Here’s a link to the thread.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread142163/pg1

Here's a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxXM65-RplA

There are several dozen Starbucks cafes in my city, but I haven't seen that particular image in the window of any of them. Instead, the front windows have the familiar image of the woman wearing a crown with a star above the crown. Not sure what that is supposed to represent.

Rebel, I never go into Starbucks, so I couldn’t tell you if every Starbucks has the Illuminati eye or not. Enough people have reported seeing the eye for me to know that is a least in some of the stores.

This site has a nice piece about the mermaids and the Starbucks logo.

My brief stint with Starbucks ended when I realized everytime I drank on of their frappuccino's I would feel like throwing up afterwards. I am not at all surprised that Starbucks puts an addictive ingredient in their coffee. I wouldn't drink McDonald's coffee either, I like to make my own coffee these days. However, eventually I would like to stop taking coffee altogether. I want to be able to build up energy each morning naturally.

I like to make my own coffee too. I usually only drink a couple cups in the morning to wake me up and get me going. They say drinking a couple cups a day is good for you but more is bad.

Does anyone have some sources or references where I can read more about the addictive ingredients they are said to put in the coffee?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Starbucks launches first China-sourced coffee Richard 0 679 01-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Richard