Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morality
Do you think morality is an illusion? Do you think people are capable of anything under the right circumstances? Are we all slaves to our animal instincts?

I think we have morality because we have evolved as social creatures. Practicing morality is necessary in social conducts. If no one has morals, then people will steal and batter each other, no one will be trusted, no compact agreement be made, and there would be no civilization.

I think we have morality because we have evolved as social creatures. Practicing morality is necessary in social conducts. If no one has morals, then people will steal and batter each other, no one will be trusted, no compact agreement be made, and there would be no civilization.

^^^^^

I agree that we have morality because we need a code of conduct to follow. But is it subjective? Under extreme circumstances, would you be prepared to steal, kill or prostitute yourself to survive?

I think most people in society would do anything (even the 'religious' types). I think a small minority would take the time to listen to their oversoul/intuition, and find an ethical solution.

Good question. That's the question that hollywood entertains these days. Like in the movies Saw 1 and Saw 2, a villain named Jigsaw puts loved ones into terrifying traps where usually one comes out alive because they have to tear each other apart.

The villain looks like the following

(Warning: I remember that in the past, people were triggered by the depiction of this character.)

red swirls on its cheeks, red eyes, and white paint face, as well as an unhuman head shape. Picture here: http://www.google.com/search?q=saw+jigsaw .

Good question. That's the question that hollywood entertains these days. Like in the movies Saw 1 and Saw 2, a villain named Jigsaw puts loved ones into terrifying traps where usually one comes out alive because they have to tear each other apart.

^^^^^^^

I have two of the movies on DVD. Saw 2 and 3.

I have wondered before if somewhere in this cruel yet wonderful world, if this sort of thing really happens. My gut feeling unfortunately tells me 'yes'. :(

Here are some thoughts on this very interesting question:
- morality, like everything else in the universe, is relative.
- if you're going to choose the light (moral) side as a matter of free will, then you have to have first experienced some aspect of the dark side, otherwise you have no basis from which to make an informed choice.
- (spiritual) morality, as conceived by God/universe/oversoul, may be quite different from what we conceive as morality.

Here are some thoughts on this very interesting question:
- morality, like everything else in the universe, is relative.
- if you're going to choose the light (moral) side as a matter of free will, then you have to have first experienced some aspect of the dark side, otherwise you have no basis from which to make an informed choice.
- (spiritual) morality, as conceived by God/universe/oversoul, may be quite different from what we conceive as morality.

^^^^^^^^

So do we have to personally experience darkness? What about forming our own moral code from personal observations of the world?

Why do you think spiritual morality might be different from our own perceptions?

I think morality does not exist if there are associated costs with being moral that undermines the benefits. Like if two strangers are stranded on an island, with no food to eat, but with knowledge that someone will save them, being moral and courteous to each other, will not increase their individual chances of survival.

I also think that in order to be know morals, we need a culture that tells us what is morally acceptable. Cultures are formed by a group of people who agrees on how morals should benefit them and shape what morals are accordingly.

But if you're asking if an idea is a moral, you can't really know, because you can't prove that you know anything.

RITS:

"So do we have to personally experience darkness? What about forming our own moral code from personal observations of the world?"

I agree that we can form a moral code based on observation, but I think at some point you have to experience something dark in order to have a true understanding of "darkness" (amorality? immorality?) - I guess I look at things from a Taoist POV - I don't think you can understand anything without having some (even just a little) experience of its opposite, like you can't really appreciate pleasure if you've never known pain.

"Why do you think spiritual morality might be different from our own perceptions?"

A 2 year old child might feel like her parent is cruel for preventing her from having Oreos for breakfast. The parent acts out of love, knowing the child will benefit more from eating more nourishing foods. The child's POV is limited by her development. Relative to God, we are like 2 year-olds.

To the extent that we follow the rules we believe to be attributed to God (through religion or whatever), it would be logical to conclude that our perspective coincides with God's. However, a situation not addressed by those rules that seems immoral to us might be moral when understood from an infinitely larger perspective...

...or so I think. :-)

What motivates morality and what energy do you want to prevail and why?