Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NSA and Microsoft Worked Together on Windows Vista Security
Yeah, youtube has alot of funny vids about Vista

My experience - - - I'd be very thankful if no one says "I told you so" after you read this post....   :pray:

I bought Vista yesterday.  Tried to install it myself.  I ran upgrade advisor before I started and it said my computer could handle Home Basic.  Well, I didn't buy Home Basic, I bought Home Premium.  I made it 90 minutes into the install and then started to get the blue screen of death over and over, constant re-booting on it's own.  Something about a physical memory dump.....  I guess I don't have enough memory or hard drive space.  I had to do a Windows rollback to XP, which thankfully worked..... but I really want to try Vista if I can. 

I'm taking the laptop into the shop tomorrow.  They will install for me.  I'm interested now to see how much of a disaster this is going to turn into.... I MEAN, what I meant to say is, I'm interested to see how cool Vista is going to be once I get it up and running.

:doh:

Sily, it sounds like you got brave trying Vista. I’ve been watching user reports about Vista and it sounds like it runs well as long as you a fairly new computer with at least 1 gig of ram and a dedicated video card with 128 megs of memory. Some people upgrading from XP run into driver problems from older programs and need to upgrade them. People with laptops say Vista is slower to boot and eats the battery faster than XP. Using a hybrid hard drive with flash memory and using readyboost is said to speed it up.

Sily, let us know how Vista works out for ya!  

More bad new for MS.

Iranian hackers possess Windows Vista

Tehran, Feb 5, Taliya News – Cracked version of Windows Vista is already available at Iranian software markets.

Less than two months after presentation of last edited version of Microsoft Company’s latest operating system, Windows Vista and despite all anti-crack locks installed by that system’s designers, Iranian hackers managed to beat Microsoft’s anti-copying tricks and present the “fully cracked” version of this new Windows software to their Iranian clients!

The copied version of Vista is presently presented by an Iranian software company and provides the possibility for its owner to have a private “Serial Number” and thus, to “legalize!” his cracked Windows copy. The retail sale price of the Iranian cracked version of Windows Vista is 80,000 Rials (around US $8) while this good’s original version is sold around $650 at world markets!

This version of Windows is the first in its kind that enables the users to register his Windows “fully legally!!” at Microsoft website and take full advantage of that company’s after sale services, thus sacking over $640 of illegal benefit!

We have still received no news on Microsoft officials’ reaction to the cracking of their final version of Windows Vista.

http://www.taliyanews.com/en/archive/200...window.php

Here's a tiny update:  The Old Grey Mare (not me, I'm referring to my 2-year old laptop) is in *the shop* being worked on.  The techies called me today and are going to try and install Vista on my 'puter --- however my graphics card can't be upgraded so I won't be able to use the  AREO 3D fancy stuff.    RATS!  :crybaby: 

I'll post again when I get the laptop home and I've taken it for a spin...  :nod:  Right now I'm using G-man's desktop PC and I'm breaking out into hives.  I'm not a desktop fan at all, but I'm glad at least his is working good and I can surf around a little tonight.

It sounds like you have an intergraded graphics chip. A lot of laptops are like that because they didn’t need anything more than that to run XP. I imagine that will change with Vista being out now. I use a laptop too and I know what you mean about preferring them over desktops. I like the freedom of using it where I want instead of being tied to a desk and chair. Cool

I know what you mean - I have a set-up with my laptop that is sooooooo much more comfortable than sitting at a desk.  :)

I have my laptop back. I have a lot to learn on this new O/S.  I am not familiar with where many of my files are now.  I don't think there's a My Documents, which I used to have all my stuff in.  I love the screensaver Aurora that comes with Vista.  I love some of the new wallpapers.  The softer sounds are really nice.  Many of my programs were not compatible and had to be removed. Beside not being able to install Vista myself, losing some of my programs has been a huge MINUS for me. I had to download a Vista compatible anti-virus software when I got home with the laptop, as I was told the one I had wouldn't work w/Vista.  I'm thankful K-Meleon still works as I don't like Microsoft's Explorer. 

They'll probably have a virtual emulator out soon. Or an integrated data structure that allows the installation of anything under Windows Vista into a virtual registries and archived Program Files. Then the shortcut to a software may be run like a Windows XP/98/95 from file properties (they have that on XP). As a learning programmer, I'm 70% sure this is possible, but I don't know if this is part of their rosters.

It will also be a matter of time before most laptops and desktops are Windows Vistas and then Windows XP prices will drop tremendously. Microsoft always have a way of doing this.

I hate it that I have to constantly adapt to a new OS every four or five years. But as hardware and memory improves, the potential for better OS and software also increases. Microsoft is not being crude. That's just the reality of things because they are in a public market and they can't afford to lose their position to other companies that decid to take the lead. Unfortunately, as an OS change, most likely, so does the way previous software uses memory and data storing. The result is software companies need to release more compatible versions. This will become a nuisance to most early buyers. But we're fortunate that Microsoft functions like a monopoly, or else buying software and games would be even more complicated.

I prefer laptops as well. I really began using one when I started college last year. But I will never switch back. Whenever I returned home from college, I'd just leave the Desktop in limbo because it just isn't as practical, portable, comfortable, or easy on your eyes and body, as a laptop. It also does not heat up or gather dust as much.

Many peers have to disagree with preferring laptops because they love to play the new pc games that require a Desktop. I don't play much of those games, so I can't say for them what.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows 10 'the last version of Windows' Breaking News 0 1,014 05-11-2015, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Breaking News
  Windows 7 upgrades Vista laptops to lower battery life Breaking News 0 1,124 01-30-2010, 03:47 PM
  Windows 7 Will Let Microsoft Track Your Every Move Breaking News 0 1,044 10-07-2009, 01:00 PM
  Microsoft's Windows 7 test implies holiday launch Richard 2 1,109 05-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Richard
  Microsoft Discloses Government Backdoor on Windows Operating Systems Richard 1 1,030 05-04-2008, 05:22 AM
Last Post: Anu-021413