Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Value of Family Farms
Despite so much land here being sold off to developers in the last 20 years, there are still several family farms in my country town and they do an incredible, booming business.  The crops grown here consist of broadleaf tobacco, various vegetables and fruits.  The local grocery store chain buys some of these crops which is how it should be.  There is one farm which used to only be open for two months in the spring to sell garden plants and flowers.  This year they stayed open until early July because of their continued success.  The place is absolutely mobbed daily while open and they have to hire a traffic cop to direct traffic going in and out of the ever-extending parking lot.  They have beautiful acreage along a busy, two lane state road which passes through town.  Some of the pastoral views here are breathtaking.

For many years the farmers in town have employed Jamaican farm workers.  I've occasionally heard heart-warming stories of how well these workers are treated.  The latest story I heard is about the Jamaican workers who are employed by the above mentioned farm.  This year the farm is open for late summer and fall after closing in early July and they are selling huge, gorgeous mum plants, pumpkins and other related items.  The Jamaicans grew all of the mums so all profits from the sale of these mums is being given to them.

Cool!

If things really deteriorate in this country this is the town I want to be living in.  It has a good fabric and there is something really special about this place.  I never thought I would say such a thing but there it is.  We also have a wealthy benefactor who lives in town and he spends a lot of money buying up property so it cannot be developed.  I think an acre of land goes for $60,000 these days.  He owns a computer business in town which was born in 1976 and has grown immensely since, and he loves to go out and mow the hay fields he purchased to feed the top of the line breeder cows at the farm he bought a few years ago.  Hehe.  He owns other local businesses as well.  He is in the process of buying up blocks of adjoining properties in the town center.  Lucky are those who sell to him because he is very generous.

Sounds like a great place!

It sure is an interesting place.  All of the small town political stuff goes on daily but that goes on in all towns.  I feel very fortunate because I am not being exposed to so much of the strife going on in so many other places.  That is a blessing because I have other concerns.

What's it like in Toronto, Pallas?

I've lived in many places in Canada, some big, some small. Toronto is the largest city in Canada and probably the most ethnically diverse. I love that aspect of it. For a large city, Toronto is quite safe - love that. I love the character of the old parts of the city and the juxtaposition with the new. I love the lake shore. I don't love the congestion, the smog, the long commutes, the workaholic culture. But overall, the positives overwhelm the negatives, and like you, I feel blessed to live where I do.

Pallas, it sounds like you are mostly comfortable with city life.

Polly, I appreciate the charms of smaller places too (I have fantasies about living in relative isolation on Vancouver Island), but right now my life is in the city. It's a "love the one you're with" thing.;)

I have always wished that I could live on a farm. Alas, I have gotten old without that wish ever coming true...

Even living near farms is good or visiting farms works as well.  Find a good farm nearby and go love it!  :)  Adopt it!  We visited a closeby farm which just opened a small store about a month ago to sell their wares and invite people to hang out on and enjoy their property.  Before that they were selling their goods at farmers' markets and they sold out in a few hours time.  People cannot get enough of items made the way they used to be made.

So true. And good advice.

"People cannot get enough of items made the way they used to be made."

We need to figure out how to hang on to the best of the old ways of doing things.

From what I have seen in my area there is more and more interest in preserving family farms and supporting them.  Now, if I could only get someone to start a buffalo herd nearby.  Hehe.  We hunted down a buffalo farm in Vermont one day just to drive by; it took forever to find it since it was off the beaten path, and they do sell their meat locally up there.