Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue moon on New Year’s Eve
New York, December 28 -- A blue moon will adorn the sky on New Year’s Eve. A blue moon on a New Year’s Eve is a rarity. It last happened in 1990 and the next will happen in 2028

This does not mean that the color of the moon will be blue. Rather, a second full moon in a month will light the night sky, a phenomenon called blue moon.

Blue moon is a “just a colloquial term, which means very, very rare”, says Conrad Jung, a staff astronomer at the Chabot Space & Science Center in Oakland.

The most literal definition of blue moon is when the moon turns blue in color. A moon is sometimes seen with a bluish tint. It is due to the smoke or dust particles in the atmosphere caused by volcano eruption and forest fires.

After the forest fires in Sweden and Canada in 1950 and after the massive eruption of Krakatoa in 1883, the moon appeared blue in color.

Understanding the phenomenon

Blue moon is an event of timing. A full moon occurs after every 29.5 days. If there is a full moon early in the month, there is a possibility that a second full moon will appear at the end of the month.

This occurrence takes place nearly after two years. Two full moons in a month last appeared in June 2007, when sky gazers witnessed one on June 1, and the other on June 30.

Two full moons in one month will now appear on Aug. 2 and Aug. 31 in 2012.

A blue moon on a New Year’s Eve is a rarity. It last happened in 1990 and the next will happen in 2028.

A change in definition

Historically, moons were given folk names like Harvest Moon (October), the Old Moon (January) and the Egg Moon (April). The origin of the term blue moon and its meaning has changed over time.

In the 19th and early 20th centuries, the Maine Farmers’ Almanac described the blue moon differently. According to them, a blue moon was the third full moon in a season, which had four full moons.

Each moon in a season had a name. The first moon of summer was called early summer moon, second was named midsummer moon, the last was called late summer moon. If there were four moons in summer then the third was called blue moon and the last was still called late summer noon.

This definition of blue moon was changed by mistake. In 1946, a writer for Sky and Telescope, in an article named ‘Once in a Blue Moon ’, misinterpreted the Maine Farmers’ Almanac's use of the phrase.

He defined the full moon as the second full moon in the month. Thus, this meaning became popular.

http://www.themoneytimes.com/featured/20...95278.html

Interesting energy to end the calendar year, a natural occurring bonus for the illuminati, they will take advantage of this and I am curious to see how everything is on the 1st of the 1st….

It's also interesting that this will be the 13th moon of the year.

Of course, that makes sense and I did not even think of that richard…we had a wonderful thunderstorm start around 10 minutes before minute, the energy was strange.

Additional factoid..... A Blue Moon occurs on New Years Eve every 20 years.The last Blue Moon on New Years Eve  was 1990.

Interesting MN, so now its over, does anyone have anything to add, how did you all feel or anything happen in your area?

AJ, It was surprisingly subdued and quiet. The energy didn't feel nearly chaotic as expected.

There was an incident the night before in the inner city in which a group of teenagers attempted to set a homeless man on fire but someone intervened . The man was not physically hurt.
What's the report from down under?

Same here, there were triggers around on Tuesday, but they seemed to fizzle by Thursday, I wonder why that is, any thoughts?

Can't quite put my finger on it but there has been a change.

Yes I agree, I am sure it will make sense, but not at the moment, the day was full of energy, blue moon, new years ritual night, and to add cancer was in the moon, and all I can say is the days do not feel right, I keep feeling that it is mid-week, can get a gist that today is Saturday, we had a storm on new years eve and then again last night, I love storms but very strange to have 2 in a row, anything different where you are- like nature different I mean.